Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Slow Cooker Fajita Stew


Complete - Along with warm flour tortillas

So I printed this recipe out a long time ago from a friend of mine and decided to make it for dinner tonight. It is at home, in the crock-pot cooking at this moment. I can't wait to try it tonight.

Ingredients:

2 1/2 lbs boneless beef top round steak
1 onion, chopped
1 oz envelope dry fajita seasoning mix
14 oz can diced tomatoes, un-drained
1 red bell pepper (obviously I used a red and a yellow...sometimes I use a red and a green)
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup water

 Directions:

1. Trim excess fat from beef and cut into 2" pieces. Combine with onion in slow cooker.

2. Mix together fajita seasoning and un-drained tomatoes. Pour over beef.

3. Place cut peppers on top.

4. Cover. Cook on low 6-8 hours, or until beef is tender.

5. Combine flour and water in a small bowl. Stir well to mix.

6. Gradually add to slow cooker.

7. Cover. Cook on high 15-20 minutes until thickened, stirring occasionally.

My friend also added this tidbit of information - You can alter the recipe and add a can of corn, drained, and a can of beans, drained, usually kidney beans or red beans. I also use more than just the red pepper. I have put shrimp in this before too with the steak. Its really good served over hot rice, or in a bread bowl. We usually just heat up tortillas on the griddle and eat with it. If you like a little more spice, you can put diced up jalapenos in it too.

The meat & onions together in crockpot.
I also don't like to pay the extra for pre-cut meat like 
stew meat or fajita meat etc... I used some dinner steaks 
that I had in the freezer and just cut them into 
2 inch chunks myself.

This is the diced tomato and fajita seasoning mixture.
You mix it separate in a bowl and then add it to the meat/onion mixture.

The tomato/seasoning mixture has now been poured over the meat/onion mixture.

Added the colorful bell peppers!
Will post final picture from when I get home to this delicious meal tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment